Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"My Maintenance Inhaler"

A couple of years ago one of my daughters was diagnosed with asthma. The doctor started her on what they called a "maintenance" inhaler twice a day indefinately.  These two puffs twice a day were so important so much to the point where it determined regular breathing or hardly breathing for my baby girl. So, you could imagine what would happen if we "forgot" to give her inhaler to her a couple of times?  We would start seeing my daughter having a difficult time catching her breath, especially in the cold weather.

You see, the maintenance inhaler is just that, it helps maintain a healthy breathing pattern. Well, our spending time with the Lord is much like it in the same way, in that we must maintain a relationship everyday. By doing so, it is much easier to handle the difficulties when they come, and they will come.

It's usually easier, no matter what it is in life, to stay caught up, rather than if you were always playing catch up. Would you agree? I think most of us would.  That's why I choose Jesus to be "My Maintenance Inhaler". He gives me eternal life and helps sustain my spiritual walk by spending time with Him. By seeking Him out, we get close to Him. In James 4:8- it says "Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

Just as by not using your maintenance inhaler correctly as prescribed by your doctor, could lead to a deadly situation, and in the same manner we could develop almost a spiritual anorexia in which we could be on the verge of starving our prayer life. 

So let me leave you with one question. Are you showing signs of suffocation because of spiritual anorexia? If so, lets all commit to taking our "puffs" from our maintenance inhaler (Jesus) daily and fatten ourselves up on the Word of God a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment